IMPORTANT ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES THROUGHOUT OUR WEBSITE AND HOTEL
Our goal is to provide hospitality to all people who travel to Avalon. This means everyone. Our mission is to make it as easy as possible for all people including those with hearing, vision, or any other disability to learn about our property and book their stay if they so desire.
If you have difficulty learning about or booking our hotel, we invite you to contact us via telephone or email and our friendly staff will gladly assist you.
The Avalon Hotel is constructed one flight of stairs above street level. At this time, due to the property's physical plant constraints, The Avalon Hotel does not have a room that is ADA Accessible for mobility impairment requiring wheelchairs, but we are happy to discuss specific accessibility needs a guest may have and do our best to accommodate them. We do, however, provide the accessibility features for individuals who face audio or visual impairment including braille signage and ADA A/V kits for our guest rooms.
We work very hard to provide an easy-to-use online experience for all guests. We believe all of our website visitors should be able to easily research online on https://www.theavalonhotel.com regardless of device type and whether an individual requires assistive technology like a screen reader, font magnification, translation or voice recognition software.
To ensure this, The Avalon Hotel is committed to compliance with Level AA success criteria of the Website Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0), an international standard measure of accessibility success. Our website and digital marketing has been developed after carefully parsing these particular guidelines and is continuously being enhanced to make our technology more accessible and user-friendly.
We have tested our hotel’s website to ensure that we meet or exceed Level AA checkpoints of the WCAG 2.0 Standard.
Our hotel website allows visitors to search for accessibility featured guest rooms with ease and details our property’s accessibility features on our Hotel Overview page which can be found here: https://www.theavalonhotel.com/overview
If you have any questions or would like to report any issues related to the accessibility features of our hotel’s website, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can learn more about W3C’s Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) HERE
- 32 Inch Wide Openings to Common Areas
- Accessibility Equipment for The Deaf
- All sidewalks and walkways free of any objects that pose a hazard to persons with low vision
- All Signs on The Property are Easy to Read and Free From Reflective Material
- Areas of Rescue Assistance
- Braille Signage throughout property
- Breakfast Area on Ground Floor
- Door hardware (lever, pull, panic bar, etc.) usable with one hand, without tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist
- Exterior stairs built so blind persons and persons with low vision will not hit their head
- Fire alarms in the hotel have a visual alarm strobe light
- Hotel corridors a minimum of 36” wide
- Hotel shuttle with lift/ramp; however, we have contracted with a local vendor to provide this service to a disabled guest.
- Key card reader positioned so persons who use wheelchairs may approach and operate the opener
- Main Features of Hotel Accessible on Ground Floor
- People in Need of Accessible Features Can Book Accessible Rooms During The Same Time and Terms That Others Can Reserve Rooms
- Service Animals Allowed At No Additional Charge
- Staff Has Access to Information About Guest Rooms
- Staff is Trained to Offer Assistance to Ensure Accessibility
- TDD Telephone
- TTY available at the front desk so that lodging facility personnel can communicate with persons who are deaf or have speech impairments
- WCAG Level 2.0 Website
- Wheelchair Accessible Guest Room
- Accessible Elevator
- Accessible Registration Check-in Counter
- Accessible Routes To Fire Exits
- All areas of the hotel are accessible by wheelchair – including a wheelchair accessible route from the accessible parking spaces to the facility’s front entrance and to the key areas of the facility
- At the Check-In Counter, there is a Retractable Table that Extends for Wheelchair Level Access.
- Connecting Rooms Available
- Front Door Bell
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Wheelchair Ramp
- Service Animals Allowed
- Accessible Power Outlets
- Hearing Impaired Light Alerts with Kit
- Closed Captioning Television
- Hearing Impaired Light Alerts – Free Portable Equipment Provided by Hotel
- At Least (1) Power Outlet with a Clear Space in Front, 15” from Ground
- Communication Kits Available with TTY Machine, Strobe Light, & Visual Door Knocker
- Visual Alarm – Free Portable Equipment Provided by Hotel
- Telephone with Visual Call Alert – Free Portable Equipment Provided by Hotel
- Auxiliary visual alarms, notification devices and telephone accommodations
- Door hardware on all entry doors to accessible guestrooms and other passage doors within the room usable with one hand
- Drapery wands and controls on fixed lamps and HVAC units easily operable with one hand
- Wheelchair Accessible
This hotel website for The Avalon Hotel is designed to be fully accessible to all and is designed according to W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and conforms to most priority checkpoints which entail some of the following elements:
Our hotel’s website can be navigated by using the tab key to traverse the elements of each page and by using the enter key to activate a highlighted link.
Structured, Semantic Markup
HTML heading tags are used to convey the document structure. Navigation menus are tagged as HTML maps so that the menu title can be read out, and the menu items are presented as a group. Please see our Site Map for easy navigation at: https://www.theavalonhotel.com/sitemap
All content images include descriptive ALT attributes and all purely decorative graphics include null ALT attributes.
The site is designed to conform to Level AA compliance as specified by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. All pages validate as XHTML 1.0 and use structured semantic markup.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, which explains the reasons behind each guideline.
- Section 508, Information and news about the accessibility standards introduced by Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Accessibility Software and Services
The following tools and services are available for free to assist you with viewing and interacting with our website:
- Click Here for HTML Validator, a free service for checking that web pages conform to published HTML standards.
- Click Here for Web Page Backward Compatibility Viewer, a tool for viewing your web pages without a variety of modern browser features.
- Click Here for Lynx, a free text-only web browser.
Optimize the way you view your web browser. If you have difficulty in reading the The Avalon Hotel website on your screen, you may be able to change the settings on your browser to help you improve readability and visibility of each webpage:
Learn about the Accessibility features of these major Internet Browsers below:
- Mozilla Firefox: Click Here for Mozilla Firefox Accessibility Features
- Google Chrome: Click Here for Google Accessibility Features
- Internet Explorer: Click Here for Microsoft Internet Explorer Ease of Access Options
- Apple Safari: Click Here for Apple Accessibility Support